Online Humor

The crazy musings of what I think is funny!

Monday, April 16, 2007

I'm not that cute


Sometimes you just need to run away for the week... and that's exactly what I did when I went to Santa Barbara; a much-needed mini vacation. Without anything other than the stuff already in my SUV (thankfully I had my clean laundry with me), I drove over to Rite Aide, picked up a California map and decided I was going to Santa Barbara simply because it existed, because I had never been there before and because Santa Cruz was too far.

As soon as I hit Oxnard, I think I finally allowed myself to take a breath. I was finally out of fake Hollywood condemned Hell. The evening drive prevented me from seeing the coastline; but I could smell the ocean once 101 veered into Ventura.


If you drive past Santa Barbara on the 101 (also known as El Camino Real at this point), 101 will lead you right into a series of S curves through Gaviota State Park. If you love to drive through almost empty mountain hugging roads and with music at volume (don't even bother trying to talk), you'll love the El Camino Real. The curves hug monstrous size mountain peaks where there is no place to pull over and wimp out. So you either turn up the volume and enjoy or you move over to the right safety lane and let us that do love it, enjoy it.


Once I had driven through the Gaviota State Park S curves, I knew I had gone past Santa Barbara and was seriously considering Santa Cruz again, however, I ended up heading back to Santa Barbara. The drive south through El Camino Real is just as thrilling and yet completely different that the north direction.

After driving through sleepy closed up Santa Barbara hollow a little past midnight, I finally decided to get a good night's sleep.



The next morning was a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping to wake up to a glorious sunny morning and instead, it was overcast and a bit clammy. Before breakfast, I went to the beach; as I was sitting outside brushing my hair, a Parks & Recreation Ranger approached me and we chatted for a bit. At one point, as I was brushing my hair, I noticed he was looking at my t-shirt. Curious, I looked down and remembered that I was wearing my 'Cute but psycho' bunny t-shirt…which I impishly looked back at the ranger and replied, "I'm not that cute". For the length of a heartbeat the Ranger had a perplexed look on his face and than let himself laugh. Than he directed me to where I could hopefully find breakfast.

Continued: Downtown Santa Barbara




Professional Hobos




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home